Well, here I am writing my first blog post. Honestly? I never thought I would have a blog. Who would want to know about boring old me? But as the saying goes..never say never. :) This will be my sewing & quilting blog.


I've had many hobbies in my time. For a while I made pottery but tendinitis & carpal tunnel ended that. So I focused more on needlework. Learned a lot of new techniques...made many wonderful friends...spent a fortune on stash (oh, yeah)...created many beautiful pieces...won a few awards at the local county fair. But once again, tendinitis reared it's ugly head and when my aging eyes started to rebel I knew my stitching days were numbered. So a couple of years ago I started to look toward quilting. My grandmother taught me to sew when I was a young child and in my teenage years I made most of my clothes. That came to an abrupt end once I hit college and I didn't sew another thing for 30 years. I didn't even own a sewing machine! In 2007/2008 I had a lot of work done on my house and one of the end results was a fabulous sewing/craft/junk room. Then in the summer of 2008 I took my first quilting class. I was hooked!!!


It's hard to describe what quilting has become for me. When I was making pottery, I made some nice pieces but nothing to brag about. I really wasn't very good at it. I am good at needlework but while I might change the fabric or an occasional thread, I have zero needlework design talent and have to follow a pattern. But the quilting world is an entirely different subject. I absolutely LOVE playing with color and fabric. There is so much freedom! Walking into my sewing room automatically brings a smile to my face. How I wish I had discovered this world earlier. Why didn't anyone tell me about it? Of course with my preference for bright colors that might have been self defense. LOL


If you have read this far, well I thank you. Hope I can keep it interesting. I think I will try to start from the beginning and go forward because this really has been a journey.  The picture at the beginning of this post is from my first quilting class. I am happy to say my technique has improved vastly. More to come!